Responsible for providing patients with daily living activities. Maintains the environment to ensure the safety of staff, patients, families, and visitors.Minimum Job Requirements
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- CPI - Crisis Prevention Institute - Successfully complete CPI (Crisis Intervention Training) - maintain active and in good standing throughout employment and required within 7 days of hire date
- CPR BLS -American Heart Association - maintain active and in good standing throughout employment
- Level II Background Check and Affidavit of Good Moral Character
- First year of service completes the basic hours of orientation plus 12 hours of in-service training
Job Specific Duties
- High school education or equivalent preferred.
- Prior experience working with children and/or adolescents preferred.
- Hospital experience as a Care Assistant with appropriate training in Psychiatry department will be considered.
- Flexibility in changing situations.
- Communicates in a clear and professional fashion.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and react calmly under stressful conditions.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Applies collaborative problem solving approach with daily and routine interaction with patients.
- Assists patients with activities of daily living, personal care, & comfort measures. Assist with certain behavioral interventions and test/procedures under the direction and supervision of RN.
- Assists RN with patient intake/admission paperwork.
- Documents significant occurrences, observed behaviors, I &O (if ordered), and observation findings in patient charts and reports to RN.
- Communicates patients behavior to team. Reports any significant changes in patient condition or behavior to RN.
- Conducts group sessions with a preset agenda and format. Actively reassess safety and precautions with patients in relevant groups.
- Employs therapeutic sensitivity and skills in managing inappropriate patient behavior, difficult people, and complex situations.
- Completes documentation and reports accurately and thoroughly on a timely basis (includes patient teaching, 15 min observations, outdoor activities, groups, etc.).
- Performs clerical duties related to support of unit activities as assigned and assists with obtaining weights, vital signs, logging patient belongings, and specimen collection.
- Evaluates patients' responses to implementation of treatment plan.
- Interacts with patients in a therapeutic manner to improve social skills aligned with their treatment goals while maintaining a safe & therapeutic milieu by monitoring compliance with program rules.
- Maintains a safe, clean, and organized environment for patients, staff, and visitors.
- Plans and implements therapeutic patient activities, as well as, assists RNs and therapists in completion of treatment plans.
- Provides appropriate individualized de-escalation techniques.
- Reports patient/family complaints and/or allegations of abuse/neglect by staff to nurse and Leaders.
- Provides continuous supervision and observation of patient activities.
- Greets and welcomes patients, families, and visitors. Communicates information regarding services and delivers excellent and timely service and support.
- Provides continuous supervision, observation of behavioral health patients, and adheres to non-violent crisis intervention strategies (CPI).
Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus