Requisition ID # 104641
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Gas Operations
General Construction Gas Distribution Construction Engineering is responsible for the safe completion of construction projects on gas Transmission and Distribution assets delivered on time and within budget. The Gas Construction Engineering group ensures projects are built and documented to PG&E standards and regulatory requirements. The team reviews projects prior to construction, coordinates and supports projects in construction, creates construction As-Builts, Gas clearances, operational changes, and ensure project closeout through the As-Built process.
This position is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) and is subject to collective bargaining.
This position is responsible for completing pre and post job reviews, pre-checking the work prior to construction, creating estimates and reviewing all regional As-Built packages. This may involve attending pre-construction meetings with other PG&E departments and/or outside jurisdictional agencies. Also, this position may support crews during construction, such as coordinating shutdowns, ensuring material type is correct, and compliance with NEC requirements. When the work is completed this position will be responsible for closing out estimates, completing post construction checks, along with reviewing all Regional As-Built drawings for 100% accuracy, and making corrections identified by quality control. Some assistance is required to the Scheduling group when scheduling out the work.
This position is a DOT (Department of Transportation) covered classification and is subject to random drug and/or alcohol screening.
Travel is estimated to be about 50% of the time with some overnight stays.
- Provides technical and engineering services
- Conduct job reviews, pre-check jobs, do USA markings & request, site surveys
- Coordinate schedule customer shutdowns
- Investigate customer/3rd party issues pertaining to General Construction projects
- Support General Construction Supervisor with daily routine issues regarding construction of jobs
- Pre and post construction estimates, complete pre and post-construction checks, complete as-built and review contractor invoices
- Work with Schedulers when planning out construction of projects
- Ensure correct materials are documented in Bill of Materials for As-Builts
- Uses computer to do research and to write proposals, correspondence and e-mail; compiles, copies, files and mails reports; uses phone, copier, scanner, fax machines; reproduces maps, plans, diagrams and drawings; specs out and orders supplies and materials; prepares service orders
- Communicates with supervisors, public officials, general public and customers regarding project plans, designs, identified problems, proposed solutions & estimated time frames; Communicates with construction foremen, engineers, inspectors, estimators and mappers; communicates with other departments involved with project
- Makes field sketches and prepares layouts for construction of gas or electric systems; uses handwriting and computer to record: locations, dimensions, identified problems, proposed layouts, construction plans, time frames, and as-built drawings
- Makes field sketches and prepares layouts for construction of gas or electric systems
- Visits sites to evaluate issues of access and existing facilities
- Reviews all regional As-Built packages for 100% accuracy
- Host project construction status meetings
- Maintain projects field labor hour input
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Construction disciplines; or 2 years experience and supplemental education which establishes the ability to perform the duties. Supplemental education is defined as coursework emphasizing science and engineering such as those listed with a mix of no less than three areas (transcripts needed for verification): Physics, Principles of Electricity, Chemistry, Statics, Surveying, Dynamics, Math -- including trigonometry and basic calculus, and minimum of 30 quarter or 20 semester units at an accredited college is required. Acquiring an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certificate will satisfy the supplemental education requirement.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a valid California Driver's License
- Previous Field Engineer/Project Engineer experience
- Previous construction experience
- Experience in CAD along with hand draft skills.
- Certified Engineer-In-Training (EIT)
- Ability to demonstrate strong math and computer skills, strong written and verbal communication and an attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate intermediate to advance Microsoft Office Skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, OneDrive)
- Ability to work flexible schedules, extended hours, nights, weekends, and/or overtime (scheduled or ad hoc)
- Ability to drive safely in all weather and road condition
- Ability to travel and transfer to a new headquarter upon request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service territory with no guarantees as to how long you will be away from home
- Ability to read construction drawing
- Previous experience with SAP
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Fire Retardant Clothing
- Experience in transmission and distribution of gas Construction
- To better represent the communities we serve within a timely manner, applicants who live within 50 miles of the headquarter location will be given preference