The postholder will work in the Central Sequencing Laboratory as part of a team to perform a range of tasks to undertake the execution of the DNA sequencing (NGS and Sanger) and Fragment Analysis Services in the UK Health Security Agency. Flexible working is required for this role. The post holder will be expected to maintain at all times the required high standards and quality to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of genomic sequencing technologies and current working practices within the unit.
This role is based at Colindale, NW9 5EQ, United.
Please be aware that this role can only be worked from within the UK and not overseas. Relocation expenses are not available
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To follow agreed protocols and policies in accordance with the UKHSA policies and procedures.
- Perform manual and automated laboratory techniques following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), with expertise in sequence-based methods and techniques.
- To participate and support molecular routine service delivery within the remit of CSL.
- To understand and carry out all aspects of NGS and Sanger sequencing on Illumina and Applied Biosystems platforms using automated liquid handling procedures
- To run the service autonomously when required, including development and optimisation of services and organisation of workflows
- To ensure the smooth flow of samples through the laboratory, from receipt to testing.
- To carry out routine quality control procedures to ensure that samples are being prepared, processed, recorded and archived to a high standard.
- To maintain equipment, including routine monitoring, calibration and safety checks and maintain records of these.
- To facilitate the day to day running of the laboratory by ensuring the availability of stock and reagents.
- To encourage the development of a flexible team by supporting training, development and rotation
- To supervise and support EO and AO grade staff in the unit.
- To review and analyse data to ensure it is suitable for release to customers.
- To assist in the instruction and training of other staff and visitors, and to ensure compliance with safety and quality systems.
- To participate in formal staff appraisal
- To provide supervision for the work of staff or persons seconded to the unit
- Any other duties within the framework of the job summary.
For more information, please click apply now.