FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
As a Lead Research Engineer/Scientist for Control Systems (hardware and software) you will join our Equipment, Cyber, and Materials Science Research team at FM Globals Norwood Research Facility near Boston, MA.
We are a team of inquisitive, cutting edge individuals who identify, create, and support the implementation of solutions for todays business problems. Specifically, we are providing guidance for the FM Approvals (third party product certification), and Engineering (loss prevention guidance) organizations within FM Global that deliver property risk solutions to product manufacturers and insured clients.
- Conceptualize and develop reliable and secure interdependencies between software, protocols, system architectures, and networks of control systems (IIoT, Industrial Control Systems, etc.).
- Evaluate and guide the planning and testing of control systems, including software development lifecycle practices, reliability and security considerations.
- Manage the development and evaluation of approved scientific and engineering projects or tasks within projects, with minimal or limited
- Prepare reports and presentations describing study results, and their relevance for loss prevention and risk management.
- Undertake business-critical projects, interacting with internal and external customers and suppliers, and delivering and communicating the status and results of the
- Address short- and long-term business critical problems and develop new opportunities for FM Global to support property loss
- Understanding of control systems software testing, and different testing techniques.
- Experience in system integration testing involving hardware and software.
- Experience in development of control system software, test procedures and plans.
- Knowledge of relevant standards such as IEC 61131-3, 61508, 61511, and 15504
- Proven track record of creative problem solving and
- Effective communication skills, including the ability to explain control system integration to non-technical
- Proven ability to work with diverse teams in an inclusive environment focused on
- Security assessment methods and standards such as IEC 62443.
- System Quality Assurance Management (Hardware and software).
- BS, MS or PhD in a scientific or engineering
- 7+ years of Modern Control Systems Engineering (hardware, software, and integration)
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.