Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Principal / Senior Principal Data Scientist in our Cambridge location.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
The purpose of this position is to provide data science expertise in the following areas:
- Supporting Takedas Orexin franchise digital/sensor efforts aimed at quantifying quality of sleep and wakefulness for sleep-wake disorders, including narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnia.
- Understanding and effectively working with a wide variety of data sources, such as wearable device data (for example accelerometry and ECG), voice recordings, imaging data, electronic health records or social media postings. Gleaning insights from these datasets and accurately assessing their usefulness and limitations.
- Applying a breadth of data science methodologies as needed for various projects and data types. Projects will require advanced analytical and statistical methods, such as statistical inference and modern methods for machine learning and AI.
- Identifying and applying state-of-the-art data manipulation and analysis tools, in various programming languages, to develop bespoke analysis pipelines.
- Independently designing studies, ranging from simple to more complex, and supporting all aspects of projects from data wrangling through to machine learning and statistical analysis.
- Understanding how data science projects fit within Takedas preclinical and clinical efforts, with the goal of using data science to better understand the patient journey and to help us tailor interventions that maximize patient benefit.
- Independently represent data science function on global project teams in support of pre-clinical and clinical studies and compound level programs.
- Play a leadership role in the development and review of the study synopsis, protocol, statistical analysis plan, clinical study report, ensuring accurate and statistically valid deliverables.
- Perform end-to-end data analyses, from hypotheses formulation, experimental design, writing analysis plans, data cleaning, executing analysis, and preparing reports and documentation.
- Develop and support best data handling and data provenance practices utilizing reproducible, interpretable research approaches
- Strengthen Takedas advanced analytics toolkit by identifying and applying emerging techniques, as well as by advancing the state of the art and developing novel analysis tools as needed.
- Collaborate effectively within a matrix environment, with scientists in various therapeutic areas to understand disease biology and to identify or develop appropriate goals for data science work (for example identifying sensitive and specific endpoints for segmenting patient population, tracking disease progression, quantifying quality of life, etc.) as well as with with colleagues from pharmacology, chemistry, imaging, translational sciences, computational biology, experimental medicine
- Work closely with Takeda statisticians to ensure statistical issues in data analysis are addressed as needed.
- Anticipate and communicate internal and external resource and quality issues that may impact deliverables or timelines of the program. Propose and implement solutions. Escalate issues to management as appropriate in a timely manner.
- Increase the internal impact of Takedas data science work by identifying opportunities across therapeutic areas.
- Increase the external recognition of Takedas data science work by participating in conferences, publishing work and developing external collaborations
- Education in a relevant field, for example a) PhD in a field such as Biostatistics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics with at least 6 years of experience and a clear interest in data science methods, or b) Masters degree with at least 9 years of relevant experience
- Expert-level knowledge of data science programming languages (Python and R, or similar) and experience with recommended practices for software development.
- Significant depth of expertise in at least one field relevant to the job (for example, machine learning, signal processing, etc.) and strong background in both supervised and unsupervised machine learning.
- Ability to work independently on complicated datasets, including all aspects of data analysis (data cleaning, algorithm development, statistical analysis, and documentation).
- Strongly prefer a working knowledge of UNIX operating systems, ideally with experience in high-performance computing environments.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Willingness and ability to self-educate in new areas.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to work with a cross-functional team.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine