We are currently seeking a motivated individual to join our team as a Lead, Model Based Systems Engineer with specialized engineering experience in electronic, sensor, and/or imaging subsystems. This position supports a mission-critical program with specific focus on maritime sensor applications. This individual will play a vital role in engaging with external vendors and internal customers to specify, develop, test, and deliver sensing systems. This individual should also have prior model based systems engineering experience in development programs, with hands-on system integration expertise. The successful individual will bring their passion for innovation and be able to adapt, communicate, and apply their system thinking to the application at hand. This individual will have the opportunity to work on cutting edge and world-class sensor systems.
L3Harris Space & Sensors Division designs and manufactures complex electro-optical and electro-mechanical systems for the defense, aerospace, and commercial markets. L3Harris is a recognized leader in Electro-Optical technologies that enable systems to support surveillance, reconnaissance, threat detection, and self-protection missions.
- Digital engineer able to develop system models that encompass product architecture, behavior, requirements, and parametrics. Able to use MBSE tools to capture stakeholder and system requirements, facilitate discussion and understanding of system usage, and enhance a culture of model-based designs.
Five or more years of experience (in-depth knowledge and practical experience) with the Systems Modelling Language (SysML). Includes MBSE implementation and data architecture and integration ranging from conceptual to physical implementations; including Metadata Strategies, Data Modeling, Data Ingest, Storage, and Search & Retrieval.
- Experience with at least two programs that utilized an MBSE approach to accomplish key development milestones such as Systems Requirements Review (SRR), Systems Functional Review (SFR), and Preliminary Design Review (PDR).
Power user of Model Based Systems Engineering tools such as CAMEO or similar Systems Modeling tools.
- Collaborate with other Systems Engineers in the development of work products, including: System Specifications, Logically Derived and Linked Requirements, Interface Definitions, System Diagrams, Systems Analyses, Trade Studies, and Detailed Designs.
Develop and review guidance and training materials related to architecture modeling, tool usage, processes, assumptions, and limitations. Coordinate amongst practitioners to share best practices, establish style guides, and templates.
- Establish and maintain a repository of architectural modeling data for rapid starts on new projects and proposals.
- Bridge architecture models with physics-based performance models and simulations.
- Able to effectively communicate and collaborate system architecture and design with other functions including Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Manufacturing, Program Management, Suppliers, and Customers.
Actively work with peers and specialists on cross-functional teams to solve a wide range of difficult and unique issues to meet shared product milestones.
B.S. degree in engineering from accredited four-year college or university and a minimum of 9 years of applicable systems engineering experience.
Extensive experience with model based systems engineering and associated modelling tools.
Exceptional interpersonal skills, ability to work well within and outside of the organization including customers, vendors, and leadership with minimal oversight.
Must have the ability to obtain a US Secret Clearance.
Preferred Additional Skills/Experience:
Prior MBSE experience on at least two programs, with at least one program being a large scale and complex program (i.e., > 10 System Engineers and/or >$50M).
Able to provide technical leadership, mentorship, and guidance to a team of system engineers in the areas of systems engineering analysis, architecture modeling, and MBSE.
- Prior experience implementing a transition from static architectural products to a dynamic collection of interconnected, federated MBSE models.
Able to define the appropriate data standards, data structures, and supporting COTS, GOTS, and Open Source technologies required to manage the data needs.
Able to consult and facilitate diverse stakeholders in defining and prioritizing opportunities to implement an MBSE approach to realize cost and labor savings and promote efficiency and re-use.
- Graduate degree in engineering.
Demonstrated proposal-writing capability.